Domenica, 21 Febbraio 2016 08:01

News24.com | MEC to attend Groote Schuur baby kidnapping trial

Scritto da 
Vota questo articolo
(0 Voti)

Cape Town - Western Cape's Social Development MEC Albert Fritz is expected to attend the trial of a woman accused of kidnapping a newborn baby from Groote Schuur Hospital 19 years ago

at the Western Cape High Court on Monday.

The proceedings "represents the beginning of the legal process which will hopefully bring clarity, justice and closure to all parties", the department said in a statement on Sunday.

The woman faces charges of kidnapping, fraud, and contravening the Children’s Act.

The 50-year-old woman is accused of kidnapping the 3-day-old infant from the hospital in 1997.

The teen's identity was discovered when her biological sister, who is four years younger, told her parents that a matric girl at her school bore a striking resemblance to her and her father.

When they discovered the girl had the same birthday as their missing child, the parents reported it to the police.

DNA tests have since confirmed the teen is indeed their daughter.

The teenager had been receiving ongoing therapy and counselling from the department.

The accused, who may not be named as it may lead to the teenager being identified, was released on R5 000 bail in March last year.


Letto 199 volte
Devi effettuare il login per inviare commenti

Powered by

Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici e di profilazione propri e di terze parti per le sue funzionalità e per inviarti pubblicità e servizi in linea con le tue preferenze. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie clicca qui.

  Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina o cliccando qualunque suo elemento acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.