Cape Town - The 2016 State of the Nation Address (SONA) will be held on Thursday 11 February 2016.
Travellers in the city of Cape Town and in and around the CBD area are advised to be aware of the following road closures and route changes, released by The City of Cape Town.
The official Transport Management Plan, which indicates the closures, parking restrictions and alternative bus services, is only released up to two days before the event.
Road closures for the 9th, 10th and 11th should be as follows and will be updated as soon as released.
SONA will start at 19:00 on the 11th and rehearsals on Tuesday 9 and Wednesday 10 at 17:00.
Road closure for the rehearsals and event are as follows:
The following roads will be controlled and cordoned off:
1. Security fencing will line the route in the CBD. There will be guarded pedestrian crossing points during peak time on Adderley St (Castle and Shortmarket St’s.), Plein St (Shortmarket, Spin and Barrack St’s.) and Strand St (at the bus terminus).
2. Company Gardens will be closed on Thursday 12 February from 9:00 to 23:59.
Parking Restrictions - Thursday 12 February 2015 from 0:00 (midnight) to 22:00
Please note that no parked vehicles will be permitted in the following areas:
Newlands: Princess Anne Ave
City: CBD / Foreshore area:
Adderley St: between Strand and Wale St’s
Darling St: outbound between Plein and Buitenkant St’s, reserved between:
• Plein and Parade for taxis from Plein St
• Parade and Buitenkant for Parliamentary buses
Strand St: between Adderley and Christiaan Barnard St overpass
Parliament / Company Gardens area:Church Square: corner of Spin & Parliament St’s
Roeland St: between Jutland Ave. & Plein St
Plein St: between Strand & Roeland St’s
St. John’s St: between Roeland & Orange St’
Spin St: between Parliament & Plein St’s
Parliament St: between Longmarket & Bureau St’s
Hatfield St: between Roeland & Orange St’s
St. Mary’s Cathedral Parking Area: between Bouquet & Roeland St’s
Queen Victoria Ave
Commercial St: between Buitenkant and Plein St
Road users are advised to use the following alternative routes to the City Bowl during the event:
1. From the N2 (Settler’s Way): use the N1, Table Bay Blvd via M5 (Black River Parkway), or M7 (Vanguard Dr).
2. From the M3 (Union Ave): use the M5 (Black River Parkway) and N1 (Table Bay Blvd) or M4 (Main Rd), onto Victoria Rd up to the Good Hope Centre. Thereafter left onto Tennant Rd or right onto Christiaan Barnard Rd to circle the outer CBD.
3. Outer CBD Circle Road: Use the following ring route to/from the area of the CBD affecting you:
• Christiaan Barnard Rd
• Table Bay Blvd
• Buitensingel St
• Orange St
• Jutland Ave
• Upper Roeland St. / Brandweer St
• Tennant St
If you are using public transport, be aware of the following Public Transport: Scheduled Bus services:
MyCiTi operations will be affected as follows:
Golden Arrow Bus Service operations will be affected as follows: TBC****
The Golden Acre bus terminus exit into Plein St will be closed at 18:00 on Thursday 12 February. Bus operations then will be moved to Strand St between Castle St and Christiaan Barnard St overpass until 20:00. – TO BE CONFIRMED.***
Road Closures: (colour code as per table blocks) Newlands to City:
Road Closures: (colour code as per table blocks) City Bowl:
Road Closures: (colour code as per table blocks) Parliament Precinct: